Best Wines In The Globe Sauvignon Blanc Competitors
Africa, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Photography
A couple of days ago I wrote about my choice of preferred wines from the Choice Sauvignon competitors and I promised to come back with facts of the all round medal winners. So, right here you can study about some of the incredibly ideal wines out of the 1210 that participated in the competitors.
But 1st a couple of words about how the competitors performs. Primarily, the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon / Sauvignon Blanc Choice (or Globe Sauvignon Blanc competitors) is a completely “blind” tasting you know absolutely nothing about the wines you taste. You taste the wines in series of about a dozen wines and they are in some way “similar”, for instance, a series can be from a distinct area, but you as a taster do not know which area. The only factor that you know is the vintage, but personally I obtain that to be primarily irrelevant. Often you can get some added information and facts if it can have a distinct effect on the evaluation of the wine, e.g. “this is oak-aged”.
So you fundamentally taste all the wines totally blind and evaluate them merely primarily based on the impression you get when you taste them – their intrinsic top quality in your personal opinion.
Sauvignon, with me in the middle, The Sauvignon Choice, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Photography
Some other competitions are “half blind”. They group the wines into what they look at to be logical categories, for instance “Loire Valley sauvignon blanc in a cost variety involving five and 15 euro”. That tends to lead to that the tasters judge the wines much more on “typicity”, i.e. if they are common for the category they are in, rather than primarily based on their intrinsic top quality. Personally, I choose to judge the wine on their taste rather than on how they match some imaginary perfect taste profile. This can in some cases give superior surprises when you are tasting and judging the wines with out preconceived concepts.
All wine tasting is primarily subjective. There is no way to judge wines “neutrally” or “objectively” on some universal top quality scale. (What is the objectively “perfect” quantity of acidity or “perfect” quantity of oak ageing? Properly, it depends on your preferences). This becoming stated, in most circumstances the five-7 judges in every tasting panel tends to have related opinions. But there are in some cases disagreements.
But let’s dive into the wines that stood out in the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon, or the CMB Sauvignon Choice.
Eight wines have been awarded unique trophies, so named “revelations”:
Finest Sauvignon of the Competitors – Dubourdieu Trophy
- Sauvignon Blanc Sieme Eichberg 2021 Weingut Adam-Lieleg, Südsteiermark, Austria
- Sauvignon Blanc Neusetzberg 2020 Weingut Krispel, Vulkanland Steiermark, Austria
- Sauvignon Chardonnay 2022 Domaine Saint-Lannes (SARL Nicolas Duffour), Côtes de Gascogne IGP, France
- La Grande Chatelaine 2019 Vignobles Joseph Mellot, Sancerre, France
- Raif Sauvignon 2021, Azienda Vinicola d. Giovanett G. C. sas, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT (Trentino Alto Adige), Italy
- Saint Clair Pioneer Block 1 Foundation Block Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Saint Clair Household Estate, Marlborough
Revelation South Africa
- Gustus Sauvignon Blanc 2020, Darling Cellars, Darling, South Africa
Revelation Oaked Sauvignon – Tonnellerie Sylvain Trophy
- Villiera Bush Vine Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Villiera Wines, Stellenbosch, South Africa
All in all a bit significantly less than a third of the wines have been awarded some sort of medal. You can obtain all the medals at the Concours Mondial du Sauvignon right here.
The nation that brought house the biggest quantity of medals was France which is not surprising considering the fact that it is also the nation with the most sauvignon blanc vineyards. The Steiermark area in Austria was the wine area that won the most medals, with 85 medals. Encouraging, considering the fact that the competitors will be held in Austria subsequent year. South Africa, that hosted the competitors this year, was awarded an impressive 56 medals, a clear illustration of that this is a effective grape range in the nation. That is not surprising. It is a grape range that gets a lot of interest in South Africa and they even have an organisation to market it: Sauvignon Blanc South Africa.
Awatere Valley, Marlborough, New Zealand, copyright BKWine PhotographyBKWine Photography
The entire list of medal winners is lengthy so I will not topic you to that. But in addition to the above, I would like to give some unique recognition to some of the wines that showed properly but that have been from significantly less well-known areas when it comes to Sauvignon blanc:
A single medal winner from Argentina:
- Sauvignon Blanc Extremo 2021 Bodega Altupalka, Salta
3 from Bulgaria:
- DiVes winery Sauvignon Blanc Aged in oak barrels 2020, PGI Thracian Valley
- Quantum Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Domaine Boyar
- Pearl White Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2022, Domaine Boyar
A single from Chile:
- Casillero del Diablo Reserva Especial Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Valle de Colchagua
3 from Croatia:
- Sauvignon 2022 Vinarija Kopjar, Zagorje-Međimurje
- Sauvignon 2022 Vinarija Puhelek Purek, Prigorje-Bilogora ZOI
- Sauvignon 2022 Bolfan Vinski, Zagorje-Međimurje ZOI
A single from the United States:
- Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2022 St. Supéry Estate Vineyards Winery, Napa Valley
3 from Greece
- Droumo Sauvignon Blanc 2021 Kir Yianni S.a, Macedonia, Regional Wine of Florina
- Samaropetra 2022 Kir Yianni S.a, Macedonia, Regional Wine of Florina
- Sauvignon Blanc 2022 Ktima Gerovassiliou, Macedonia
Two from Hungary:
- Bujdoso Sauvignon Blanc Choice 2021 Bujdosó Szolobirtok és Pincészet, Lake Balaton
- Haraszthy Clone Sauvignon 2021 Haraszthy Pincészet Ltd , , The Good Plain, Etyek-Buda
A single from Northern Macedonia
- Sauvignon Blanc Barovo 2022 Tikves AD Kavadarci Winery
Two from Mexico
- Vinaltura Sauvignon Blanc 2020 Vinaltura SA de Cv, Querétaro
- GG By Gina Sommelier Sauvignon Blanc 2018 Hoteles y Viñedos del Valle de Guadalupe SA de CV, Baja California
A single from Portugal:
- Lagoalva Sauvignon Blanc-Verdelho 2022, Quinta da Lagoalva Vinhos SA, Tejo
3 from Romania:
- Castel Sauvignon Blanc 2017 Jidvei Srl, Transylvanie, Târnave
- Sauvignon Blanc Coltul Pietrei 2021 Vitis Metamorfosis, Muntenia, Dealu Mare
- Domeniul Ciumbrud Sauvignon Blanc 2022 Sc Domeniile Boieru Srl, Transylvanie, Aiud
A single from Slovenia:
- EK Vinarstvo Šmarje Unoaked 2021 EK Vinarstvo Šmarje d.o.o., Primorska
And lastly, two from Switzerland:
- Sauvignon Blanc La Mine 2022 Jean-Louis Mathieu, Valais AOC
- Château du Crest Sauvignon 2022 Domaine Château du Crest, Genève AOC
The complete outcomes of the Globe Sauvignon Blanc competitors are out there right here.
Comply with me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website.
We got into wine, gastronomy and travel for passion. We really like what we do and want to share it with you. “We” signifies Per and Britt, husband and wife group, Swedish nationals but primarily based in Paris considering the fact that lengthy, incredibly lengthy. We have contributed to quite a few wine publications and now publish our personal on the internet wine ezine, BKWine Magazine. Our 5 wine books have won national and international awards, e.g. Finest Wine Book in the Globe for Pros. We also run a wine travel small business, BKWine Tours (listed as “world’s ideal wine tours”), that requires us travelling about the world’s wine regions a third of the year. We each check out some 200 wineries every year. Britt has been listed on Wine Business enterprise International’s Wine Media Energy List and Per was in a preceding life Vice President of an international tech organization and an INSEAD alumni. Oh yes, we also have one particular of the world’s most significant wine photography collections at BKWine Photography. You can connect with us by means of one particular of our BKWine web sites, or on Facebook, or on twitter @bkwineper.
Study MoreRead Significantly less
1 thought on “Best Wines In The Globe Sauvignon Blanc Competitors”